Lolita (Chica) came to us from Imperial County in January 2021. The shelter had no idea how old she was, and she was referred to as ‘tumor girl’ because she had no name and a massive tumor that you couldn’t miss. Once in surgery, the doc removed FOUR mammary cancer tumors and the damage caused a complete rebuild of her lady parts. After a major surgery such as this, the days following are always the toughest. But Lolita was resilient!

So where is Lolita now?

The last few months Lolita has really slowed down and has had bouts of tummy troubles off and on. Her foster family has been amazing at feeding her highly digestible home cooked food, is staying on top of pain, and supporting her with lots and lots of TLC!

“Lolita is a crazy little senior. She is totally a gem until I try to put the dreaded leash on for a walk. Sadly, Lolita would ‘literally’ scream if anyone would look at her or try to pet her. We think this could be anxiety from lack of interaction, but you never know. But the great news is, she finally let her foster dad massage her chest! It has taken a bit of time, but she is finally learning to trust us. She knows we aren’t there to do her any harm. Her favorite place is under a blanket, as you can see from the photo. If someone walks by, she will poke her head out and check them out. If it’s dinner time she will venture out and wait. We love and accept her as she is, not perfect, but perfectly imperfect.”

We’d love to give a nose bump to Lolita’s sponsor, but she doesn’t have one! If you can find it in your old dog lovin’ heart to support this lovely lady, please visit our website,

4/14/21 Posting:

Lolita’s foster family has this to say:
“Fostering was part of a retirement idea, but I couldn’t wait after I saw the need. So first time forever foster gets hospice girl, Lolita Chica. She came from Imperial County with no name, age (she is a senior), but I did know they called her ‘tumor girl’ for good reason. Chica had a massive tumor requiring her lady parts to be rebuilt and four mammary cancer tumors removed, as well as curled toenails. I picked her up with stitches, severally underweight and very fearful. Even though I had no experience, I felt like her eyes were telling me she wanted me to interact with her. After two days in her crate on her blanket, I pulled her out. I was somewhat relieved to see she only had one tooth left so she couldn’t bite me, but It has been a love fest ever since.
She is amazing and resilient. Her eyes are soft light brown and kind. Her tongue hangs out the right side of her mouth and she has a cute white racing stripe down her back. She learned to walk on a leash, pee, and poo all over again. You see the tumor was so massive she couldn’t even sit down normally. Her nails were so curled that even though they are trimmed now she walked with a strange gait. I have no idea how many years she had been left with these issues. After she pees, she does an adorable little dance, stomping her feet.
She loves to go outside for a walk, burrow inside a blanket on the couch and eat snacks. She likes food and enjoys getting two breakfast meals, lunch and dinner in a timely fashion. She will come to us when called but literally low crawls towards us and when she arrives promptly falls on her back. This girl is sweet and gentle. I’m happy to care for her and create a comfortable, safe, and happy end chapter for her. She didn’t deserve to be neglected and suffer the pain she has.”