What is the adoption process?
- Potential adopter fills out a non-binding application either online or at an event
- Someone will speak with you at an event or contact you to discuss your application
- All members of the potential adopter’s household (including pets) will meet the dog
- We will schedule a home check
- Potential adopter will foster the dog for a two-week ‘foster-to-adopt’ period. This foster-to-adopt period is intended to give the potential adopter a chance to get to know the dog, make sure it is the right fit, as well as give the dog a chance to settle in and show its true potential
- If after the foster-to-adopt period it is deemed a match made in heaven, the adoption will be finalized by signing an adoption contract and paying an adoption fee
What is the adoption fee for a dog?
Where are you located? Do you have a facility I can come visit?
I live out of state, can I still foster and/or adopt a dog?
ADOPTION: Thank you for your interest in adoption from Lionel’s Legacy. Dogs may be placed for adoption outside of our local San Diego County/Orange County area as long as the following requirements are met:
Fill out an adoption application at www.lionelslegacy.org
Once approved, complete a virtual meet and greet
If all goes well, travel to the San Diego/Orange County area for a meet and greet with the dog you are interested in adopting. Ideally, family members, two and four-legged, are present.
Transport your new family member home. If traveling by air, the dog must travel in the passenger compartment. Dogs may not travel as cargo.
Are the dogs vaccinated, microchipped, and/or spayed/neutered prior to adoption?
If the dog takes medicine will Lionel's Legacy provide the medicine for the rest of the dog's life?
I found a stray/abandoned dog?
If you can hold a dog temporarily, enter the dog into the FindingRover.com database, post photos on your local Lost and Found Pets on Facebook, and place found flyers in your neighborhood.
If you can not hold the dog, bring the dog to the nearest Animal Control agency.
I called/wrote but have not heard back?
Lionel’s Legacy is an all-volunteer rescue. We each have full-time jobs and families. We strive to return phone calls and emails within 3-4 days, but sometimes they get lost in the mix, or an emergency distracts us. Please send a follow-up email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your contact information, and we will get to you as soon as possible. We appreciate all our volunteers, followers, and supporters and strive to respond to every inquiry.
Why would I adopt a senior?
- Older dogs are housetrained
- Senior dogs know what “no” means, making training easier
- Older dogs are FANTASTIC at giving love!
- Puppies are a lot of work. A LOT.
- You know what you’re getting with a senior dog
- A puppy’s size may be unpredictable